Friday, December 16, 2011

Transport in Singapore

My thoughts on the transport system in Singapore.
As a new car owner, freshly graduated from 15 years of MRT and bus commute.

Faults/glitches/technical issues happen. Man arent perfect.
Lets focus on the important things.

1. Customer Service, what is done for the man on the street who is inconvenienced. I sell gas, if I mess up, I make it up to my customer in any way I can. He's a paying customer. No different from the regular commuter on the MRT. In this case, he pays, he waits, he is delayed. Now do something to appease him. This is something which the civil service has failed as compared to the private sector. More frustrating is that the commuter cant just take his business and go elsewhere. This leads to a transport problem becoming a political problem. Why the need?


2. Mr Lui, I understand that you and your team are having a hard time managing the technical issues as well as the media issues post-GE. I can only humbly suggest that your team looks into addressing the reliability and capacity/infrastructure planning on a forward looking basis as opposed to a reactive basis. I am not saying that this has not been done. But I stress that this needs to be done extremely well to meet the people's high expectation. High standard of living necessarily equates to higher expectation. Those affected by the MRT downtime are sure to make noise, but I trust you will spend your best efforts looking well beyond the troubles of today, to ensure that a commuter like me who may someday not have the use of a car, will look forward to his next incident free MRT ride. You are a strategic planner more than a firefighter or scapegoat.

If I may take the liberty of a precautionary word, things are still relatively fine now, but the goodwill built up by our forefathers only last for as long as the people's patience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Singapore

Powered by Blogger